So, I am sitting here thinking about my already loaded weekend and my palm itched. I immediately said to myself "yeah, I am going to get money soon". Then I asked myself "really"? (Yes, I do talk to myself like that sometimes) The money thought has always been the first thought in my head whenever my palm(s) itch. I was told this and some more as a kid and it grew on me. I think it may have actually happened a few times (sheer coincidence) now as an adult and a woman of faith, I know all that was bullcrap. I have learned to lol at how silly some of them are.
Anyways, as you must have figured out, my itchy palm is the reason for this post because I began to ask myself how many of these superstitious beliefs did I grow up believing and have subconsciously held on to all this while?
The free dictionary defines Superstition as an irrational belief arising from ignorance or fear. Abeg, too serious biko, I am not talking about all those deep, scary stuff. I want to talk about the rather silly ones we believed as kids. You know the ones you were sure could spare you some punishments when you did something wrong or the ones that could fetch you some money. A good example is the one where we'd remove 7 eyelashes and throw away to make mother forget about those strokes of cane we were to get. Nope, she never forgot and even when my eye lashes almost became bald, I kept tugging at them with high hopes that she'd forget. I was a firm believer mhen!
|You see, even oyibo have this one.|
These are some of the ones I can remember from back then. I knew them, I held onto them and I believed them.
- Crossing your fingers when you wish on something to be....I still do this out of habit.
- Of course when your palms itch, money!!!
- Kill a centipede and you must count all it's legs or you die also. I never went near one, I was bad at maths and I did not want to die.
- Point at a grave yard and you have to bite all 10 of your fingers or you will die....This was taken seriously because my granny's house was not far from a cemetery back then.
- I always screamed blood of Jesus whenever I hit my left foot because, bad luck! Hit your right leg, good luck.
- Do not sweep at night. I don't know why.
- DO NOT whistle at night!
- Cobwebs bring poverty.
- If a person crosses over your legs while you are sitting, you'll have a child just like them. I still feel uncomfortable when anyone crosses over my legs.
- There was something about cats. Especially black ones.
- If the bottom of your feet itch, you will make a trip
|For me, any palm meant money was coming jor.|
- If you blow out all of the candles on your birthday cake with the first breath you will get whatever you wish for.
- A beginner will always have good luck: beginner's luck.
- To refuse a kiss under mistletoe causes bad luck. Only of the kiss was from Idris Elba,
- A sailor wearing an earring cannot drown. Really?
- Animals can talk at midnight on Christmas Eve. buahahahahaaa
- The wedding veil protects the bride from the evil eye
- To make a happy marriage, the bride must wear: something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.
- Warm hands, cold heart.
- Cold hands, warm heart.
- If you walk under a ladder, you will have bad luck
- Of course there is the Friday the 13th story but i don't want to go to the dark side.
I have shared and now it is your turn to. Have you ever heard any of those I mentioned or do you have even sillier ones for me? Kindly share with me so I know I am not the only one who grew up with all those beliefs around.
Do have yourselves a blessed weekend.