Friday 19 November 2021

My First Halloween


Hey peoples! As you all know, It was Halloween a couple of weeks ago.

I must say folk here sure do take their Halloween seriously! There were all kinds of spooky decor in the shops, people decorated their houses and cars. And to my Nigerian self, I would say it was errr…. interesting.

A neighbor 4 houses down actually had what I would say was the best Halloween decor in town. If there were awards for that, I’m sure he’d have taken it home. It was what it should be… ghosts, ghouls, huge spiders and the works. In fact, I have decided to just get an arrow,  point it to his house and ‘DITTO’ if he keeps the same energy for Christmas. 

Anyways, as the day drew closer, them kids started talking about costumes, I succumbed and asked what/who  they wanted to dress as… That’s how Kay said she wants to be a Cop and the Madam Em said she wants to be a Bat. 

Hian! 

All the Nigerian in me heard was SARS and winch. 

Ehn? 

In which house?

Please, please, is my Nigerian-ness a joke to these kids? 


Anyways, I said mba, no! Nobody is dressing as a bat in this house, we can manage the olopa but I am too Nigerian to agree to the bat costume. I quickly got the bat lady to repeat “I am not a bat in Jesus name” after me. I even considered giving her small anointing oil to drink and wash away such thoughts from her head after which I declared she was going to dress as an Angel.

I wouldn’t have it any other way and being the Angel she truly is, Em agreed (not that she had a choice) and she looked so lovely in her Angel costume on the day of…

The Nigerian Momma in me was pleased… 😊 

It was a complete costume set which came with a white dress, a halo, a wand and wings. 

Now while I’m not sure what Angels use wands for it looked nice and she was happy to have it… I was in my Momma win mode when  this child looked at me, pointed the wand at me and said “mommy I’m going to turn you into a frog”.

Egba mii oh! How did we get here? I knew I should have given her anointing oil to drink the other day. I really should have!

Me thinking of what to do to the child.

How did my Angel turn to a frog turning somebody?
Anyways, the look of bad eye she got from me was enough for her and her wand to quietly walk away from me.

The kids weren’t allowed to go ‘trick or treating’ as we are still cautious of the ‘rona and me I didn’t have power to go and do babiyanla  and no kids came to ours either, which means other people are also being cautious or our neighborhood is full of snubs…

Anyways, that’s it for my first Halloween, nothing much, just interesting…
Maybe next year I dress up…yes?
Oya suggest costumes for me. 

xoxo




33 comments:

  1. 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣 you are not a bat in Jesus name, lol we Nigerians are too superstitious for Halloween

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, she is not oh!
      But we can be nicer people and not bats now…

      Delete
  2. Really should have given her the anointing oil to drink 🀣

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggest you dress as a bat next halloween. I am already imagining what you will look.like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! The Nigerian in me will not allow such behavior.

      Delete
  4. Hahahahahahah the nigerian in my sister casting and binding with anointing oil..such an interesting story..

    I suggest you dress as a bat momma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naija in me is still strong, sis.
      Ah, bat ke?

      Delete
  5. �� �� ��

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol. Village people everywhere 🀣

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you said wand I was going to say no be fairy be that? Please note fairies too na baby whinch. 🀣😈
    Sprinkling fairy dust to magic away the Nigerian-ness on you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please leave my Nigerian-ness alone! Atoh, i was wondering why an angel needed a wand, I didn’t know it was to turn me to a frog… just like that!

      Delete
  8. "You are not a bat in Jesus name"? ������

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nigerian momma extraordinaire..... AKA frog momma.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nigerian momma πŸ˜‚
    I guess the frog 🐸 will be a nice touch next year πŸ˜‚πŸƒπŸƒπŸƒ

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loool. Bat ko bata ni. Nobody is batting anything oh. We are Angels and angel shall we be.
    Gbam. So says your "out of Nigeria but Nigerianess cannot leave us association member. "

    Nice read.
    We want more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angels we shall remain. Lol
      Thanks ore mi.

      Delete
  12. Froggy momma🀣🀣🀣🀣

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha,I enjoyed this.
    Abi you’ll go as frog? So it’s treat or tricking you’re calling bambiyanla? ����I think d froggy thing will fit u more������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is carrying container to beg not babiyanla?
      Lol..
      I wont be frog oh!

      Delete
  14. 🀣🀣🀣it's the "mommy I'm going to turn you into a frog" for me! I can't stop laughing! Nice read. I guess you better be a bat or a frog next year oo!, before she decides she wantsto be a black cat from Africa... πŸƒπŸƒπŸƒπŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black cat? That will be deliverance service straight! All of you now telling me to be a bat or from no try oh! Lol.

      Delete
  15. Hahaha our Nigerian blood ( hopefully communion will follow after the anion ting oil too😭🀣🀣🀣

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok this cracked me up🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣. Nigerians and our omen🀣🀣🀣🀣

    ReplyDelete