Friday 23 September 2022

Wetin I go find for Sokoto… My Visit To New York City.


Hey peoples!

You’re probably wondering what I am on about today again abi?

Well, if you are familiar with this saying, you already know how it ends…

‘Wetin I go find for Sokoto dey for my sokoto’….

So I visited the Big Apple.

With a mission.

I was prepared for this trip, I planned for weeks, I was super excited to get there and be a New Yorker and all of that. But my main reason for going to New York City was something I so much looked forward to, I could not wait. I even bought a selfie stick so I do not miss a moment of it. 

You’re wondering what it is, right?

Well, I was given the opportunity to choose where I wanted to spend Christmas and I chose NYC, because, well… it is New York City #duh, secondly, I really wanted to see/feel/experience snow. Yes, this Naija girl had not seen snow before so I thought, why not and where best?

That is how local girl was flown to New York City. 

Hmmmm the cold that grabbed me the minute we landed, I endured because I am in New York City na and I will see snow, abi? And the colder it gets, the more chances that it will snow, abi? Also, the thought of snapping photos in the snow, doing the whole snow angel ish fueled me. 

This was going to be me in all the plenty snow I was looking forward to.

I was prepared, the weather app was my best friend, it forecasted snow from the day after my arrival, all was good with me, I could not wait. 

My brothers and sisters, dudes and dudettes, ladies and gentlemen, that is how I spent 7 good days in New York, one tiny flake of snow like this, my eyes did not see. My fingers and toes, I could barely feel because the cold, the cold, the cold!!!!  *wipes lone tear*

That is how vacation was over, I carried myself back to my small town and a few days later, guess what? It snowed!

Yup, it snowed here, where I was told it had not snowed in about 4 years… ehn, it was not much, it was like two Naira snow that basically melted before it touched the ground but it did snow! 

Ah, come and see how local girl ran out to enjoy the snow… I did not care if anyone was looking at me, I made sure I enjoyed the moment. I was happy, I saw it, I felt it, I let it fall in my mouth… I was a happy somebody y’all!

This was me… with way less snow. πŸ˜’

Well, well, apart from the snow disappointment (which was major) the visit was cool, I visited really cool places and I had fun. As a true fan of the tv show Friends, I had to go to Central Park… it is huge but I did not stay long as it was super cold.  I visited Madam Tussaud (where I had a nice conversation with Thor and he told me I was worthy of Mjolnir, I may or may not be lying about this). I also visited the famous Times Square, Rockefeller center, China town, Broadway, Radio music hall, Fifth avenue and Carlos Barkery!

There were other places I wanted to visit but at some point, going out felt like punishment as the temperature was in the minuses so I advised myself accordingly. It was a fun visit altogether though I was snow heartbroken.  

Now, would I want to go back anytime soon? Hmmm no, I do not think so. Why, you ask? That city is basically a bigger Lagos with better light and nicer cars and taller buildings (ok, ok, maybe a whole lot nicer than Lagos but you get the point)  There was always crazy traffic, trash on the road sides, people everywhere, roadside food vendors, cars honking, cab guys driving like mad folk and cussing at each other… kilode?!  And I was even in Manhattan which is supposed to be the Lekki of NYC. Nah, I like my sanity please, plus the city did not keep to its promise of snow (yes, it is still paining me).

So… that is it about my visit to NYC, I will be back with gist of my visit to Las Vegas *does the sign of the cross*


XOXO 


13 comments:

  1. You sha found bakery in all ya waking. Foodie? Something close to it abi it.
    Try Boston this year. I see friends and family over there always shoveling out snow from their walkways.
    Sorry about ya little disappointment with the no snow wk you were dre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahah. Oh lawd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Carlos bakery...I look forward to going there someday. Sorry for your snow disappointment,I’m sure you will be tired of it soon. Good u had fun in d end nd finally saw snow in ur small town😁

    ReplyDelete
  4. The snow heard your cry and decided to surprise you where you least expected. I can relate to the feeling of the first time being in the snow and will do the same or even more dear( better said in Hausa...like releasing a goat from its cage that will be meπŸ˜…πŸ˜…)

    ReplyDelete
  5. heartbreaking that you didn't get to do the Snow girl thing you wanted doing,but hey you saw the higher and bigger version of Lagos which is pretty insane...at last you got to see a little bit of snow,that is consolation for you..smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carlos bakery that I use to see on t.v.and others,wow.nice adventure.the cold was not funny on u.i can only imagine.interesting.cant wait for the other trip gist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well well
    At least the najia girl has seen the snow πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  8. πŸ˜…πŸ€£πŸ˜… you will be alright. You didn't tell Thor to give you snow? Or use the Bi-Frost to take you briefly to Finland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful....na that Carlos bakery for me e

    ReplyDelete
  10. toh, atlest now i know NYC is a bigger version of Lagos kawai

    ReplyDelete
  11. Come oh, we want to see real pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really “wetin you go find for sokoto”🀣🀣🀣 sorry girl. But at least, you made other fun memories & the snow gave u a pleasant surprise in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhh the horror! Lol sorry about that sis. Sooooooo you met Thor? ( Side glance), beautiful piece Hun, looking forward to more, congratulations on visiting the big apple

    ReplyDelete