Monday 2 October 2023

So this is how they ‘use’ to do true true?

People of God! Let me gist you about the first time I got invited to a birthday dinner at a restaurant. 

You’re wondering why this is worth writing about abi? Well, it is because it is one of those birthday parties that I have been hearing about where you attend and you pay for what you eat! 

Ehen, now you see why it is something to write about abi? Especially for someone who the Naija is still very very strong in. The way I know it is you get invited, you dress up on the day of and go, you chop plenty food and come back home very happy… so as not to feel bad that you’ve chop awoof, you buy gift. Abi that’s the point of buying ‘present’, no?

Anyways, though I had initially planned not to stay for the dinner party as I did not have a babysitter, but had to ‘show face’, the plan was to go there, sit and make small talk for about 10 mins, drop the celebrant’s birthday gift, apologize and leave. But as I was sitting and waiting for my 10 mins oh… just because I am polite na… that is how the server came to ask how the payment was going to be.

Now, tell me why this server decided to stand in my very before to ask ‘are you paying individually or as a group?’ I was trying to unlook and brother man was looking straight at me. 

In my head I was thinking ‘Oga, did they send you to me?

Did you see me eat anything?

Can’t you see I am trying to unlook?

Honestly, it felt very very uncomfortable especially as I wasn’t even sure what their plan was as it was a surprise birthday dinner for the celebrant. So there I was sitting uncomfortably not sure what the plan even was! 

Anyways, someone eventually answered and said ‘we’ll pay individually’ and the Naija in me sha thought ‘ah! So this is how you people use to do true true true’ so what if I had come in my true Naija ‘come chop’ mode without money to pay? That’s how I would have been drinking water and eating the free bread rolls,  smiling and nodding? Abi I would have rolled sleeves and washed plates after the parry?

Is it good? 

Ko da now! 

See this cultural differences? Though not all of them are shocking they will always be a thing. Some still amaze me and I just shrug at some and I don’t give some second thoughts anymore. But one thing I know for sure is that I am and will still be a Naija girl and a strong arewa one always. I just have to get used to how they do things here. But please, I like free food, lets be guided!

Till next time…


xoxo


17 comments:

  1. Abeg o! Naija way is the best plsπŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...More so, plenty meat.
    Nna men! See you see wahala o. Oyibo stinjo joor. Only you say na surprise party; only you say na individual payments. Why bother with the party in the first place?
    Abegi, shiok! I hate what I hate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The naija in me is screaming "God forbid, pay for what??? No be wuna invite me?????" But then, I go just console myself behave like the Romans because I dey Rome. But make this act no mistakenly cross naija boarder, because e no go funny at all🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣

    ReplyDelete
  4. A true African to the core. I like the concept of paying individually however the guests need to be informed before hand so that they come prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly I won't attend such an event if invited. Menene food? So in Abuja they have started copying this wuna oyinbo people o. A colleague of mine did birthday in August, invited people and said we should come with our wallets. Me no go. When I did mine,I told them don't come with your wallets,just come chop and have fun kawai

    ReplyDelete
  6. 🀣🀣🀣 this oyibo life style no do at all biko. You invite me for birthday wey I suppose come chop free food and na me come dey pay for am, I go just drop your next invite for dustbin jare 🚢🚢🚢
    As for you sha keep behaving like the Romans as we no dey Rome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should have kukuma stay at home your thing πŸ˜‚.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haka kawai!?! I was sitting in my house sipping my , planning to eat Indomie later, you said I should come for YOUR birthday party. In essence I’m paying to keep you company while you eat out on your birthday. πŸ˜’

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omoh in true oyibo fashion but true true na like this we de do for naija now sef o. πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  10. See levels oo.haaa. if person no come hold money nko.eee shock me oo

    ReplyDelete
  11. 🀣🀣 I hope you carried your gift back. Let's all have culture shock

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omo e shock you 🀣🀣🀣 e happen to me with those Americans for Jos talk more of you wey dey there. Them call me to hangout come pay for their drink, shishi no gum omo I kpara give them oh. WE NO DEY DO LIKE THIS FOR HERE OH! πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lol. This is hilarious! I love how you are taking this culture shock

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kut! My Question is did you drop the gift? πŸ˜„πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜„πŸ˜ƒ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kuuuuutttt!!! This would have been all shades of embarrassing o!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just like that....thats why I like our parties in naija oh ,even though naija people are copy cats ooo..if you know ready for party then no invite people...did you drop your present? Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  17. This one off me ooooo. Chai!!!!! Oyinbo way wa sha

    ReplyDelete